Roll up roll up for scrumptious sausage rolls!
I adore sausages. They are 100% my all time favourite food. The only thing better than sausages is sausages wrapped in pastry. ALL HAIL THE SAUSAGE ROLL! Now as wonderful as a Greggs sausage roll is, you really can’t beat a homemade one, so here’s my super easy, super quick recipe to make your own super tasty sausage rolls.
- 1 pack of Jus-Roll Puff Pastry
- 6 good quality sausages
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper to season
1) Unroll your premade pastry onto a cool, flat surface.
2) Skin your sausages and line them up 3 on either side of the pastry roll. (You can either squish the meat together so they form 2 long sausages, or keep them as 6 seperate sausages).
3) Crack and egg into a mug and whisk it up, then season with salt and pepper.
4) Use a pastry brush to spread some of the egg in a vertical strip down the centre of your pastry.
5) Gently roll one side of the pastry with sausage meat on slowly and tightly into the middle. The sausages should roll so that the pastry fully encircles the meat, and should lay right in the middle where the egg was pasted.
6) Do the same with the other sausagey side so you have two long sausage filled rolls of pastry.
7) Use a sharp knife to score lengthways down the centre between the two rolls and then cut them again going across the width to the desired size of sausage rolls.
8) Gently pick each sausagey treat up and squish the pastry on the bottom where the folds of pastry meet together, to make sure it doesn’t unravel when cooking. Place it join-side down on a greased baking tray.
9) Brush the egg wash over the top of each sausage roll so that it comes out the oven with a golden glow and crisp pastry cover.
10) Pop them in the oven for about 20-25 minutes on 180oC. They should be golden brown and piping hot when they’re ready to come out. Leave them to cool slightly on a wire rack and then devour!
There you go, told you they were simple! You can also use un-sausaged sausage meat (you know what I mean?!…you know, the big tubes of sausage meat you can buy!) You could also try experimenting with flavours, for example squish all the meat up in a bowl and add chilli or mustard powder for a spicy kick, or you could add pesto by brushing it onto the pastry before wrapping in the meat.
The possibilities are endless (and delicious!)
I hope you liked my very quick, very basic sausage roll recipe. Let me know if you make them!